Response to transarterial chemoembolization as a selection criterion for resection of hepatocellular carcinomas.Lei JY, Zhong JJ, Yan LN, Zhu JQ, Wang WT, Zeng Y, Li B, Wen TF, Yang JY; - Liver Surgery Group. Br J Surg. 2016 Mar 30. [Epub ahead of print]

BACKGROUND:Liver resection for intermediate (Barcelona Clinic Liver Cancer (BCLC) stage B) hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) remains controversial. This study attempted to demonstrate the effectiveness of preresection transarterial chemoembolization (TACE) as a selection criterion for BCLC-B HCC.

METHODS:The study included patients with BCLC-B HCC who underwent liver resection after TACE. The tumour response to TACE was evaluated according to the modified Response Evaluation Criteria in Solid Tumours (mRECIST). Patients with a complete or partial response comprised the responder group, whereas those with stable or progressive disease were classified as non-responders.RESULTS:A total of 242 patients were included. After between one and eight sessions of TACE, 141 patients were included in the responder group: 37 patients (15·3 per cent) who achieved a complete response and 104 who had a partial response. The cumulative 1-, 3- and 5-year overall survival rates were 97·2, 88·7 and 75·2 per cent respectively in the responder group, compared with 90·1, 67·3 and 53·5 per cent among 101 non-responders (P < 0·001). Tumour-free survival rates were also better among responders than non-responders (P < 0·001). In multivariable analysis, independent predictors of overall and tumour-free survival were response to TACE and microvascular invasion (all P < 0·001).CONCLUSION:mRECIST may represent selection criterion for intermediate HCC for surgical treatment.


LEGGI l'articolo


**Console Debug Joomla!**


**Informazioni profilo**

**Utilizzo memoria**

**Query Database**

**Errori nei file di lingua da analizzare**

**File lingua caricati**

**Stringhe non tradotte**